We hope you enjoy this walk through history. Many more pictures as well as newspaper clippings and memorabilia from Spencer’s long history, dating from even well before the establishment of the Spencer Post Office in 1903, can be seen at the museum established by the Spencer Historical Society. The Spencer Museum is located at 8622 NE 50th Street in Spencer, Oklahoma.
Before the Pooles bought the bank and changed the name, it was originally called the Bank of Spencer, and already housed a drug store, post office and funeral parlor.
Edward S. Poole and his wife Ruth, who began serving the financial needs of citizens, farmers and merchants of Eastern Oklahoma County back in 1914.
The original bank building on Main Street shortly after it was bought by Ed Poole and 2 other investors, whom he later bought out.
Ruth Poole, Ed’s wife, who served as teller for many years in the original bank location.
This old safe served the bank from its earliest days, and is now on display in the lobby of Advantage Bank's Spencer location at 8001 NE 23 Street.
The upper floor of the original bank building was removed, probably in the 1940’s, leaving a single story bank.
The Canadian River Water Power Company on the North Canadian River in Spencer, Oklahoma used hydraulic power from the dam to run the cotton gin and grain mill that served local farmers.
Ruth Poole and Edward S. Poole were present for the 50th Anniversary celebration in 1964 in the new building built next door to the old one.
Donna Smith’s parents, Helen and Melvin P. Rogers in 1964 at the bank’s 50th Anniversary celebration.
Randy Smith, current president of Advantage Bank, with wife Donna, granddaughter of bank founder Ed Poole and his wife Ruth.
The Spencer Museum at 8622 NE 50th St, east of Spencer Road, is open by appointment and houses photo albums, clippings and memorabilia from the area's history.