History of Advantage Bank
Advantage Bank is the oldest privately-held bank in Eastern Oklahoma County. It was December 13, 1913 that the State of Oklahoma issued a certificate of incorporation for a community bank in the town of Spencer, which would first open for business on January 1, 1914. Mr. E.S. Poole was one of the original investors of Spencer State Bank. The building was originally a two-story brick structure, with a funeral parlor run by the Beveridge family occupying the top floor, and a drug store and post office operating in the back portion of the building. It was at that time that Ed Poole embarked on a mission to provide friendly, safe and secure banking services for his community.
The bank has remained family owned since its beginning. Helen Rogers was the daughter of Ed Poole and his wife, Ruth. In 1956 Melvin and Helen Rogers moved to Spencer to work at the bank. Melvin was an educator and local statesman and served on the Oklahoma City Board of Education for several years. Rogers Middle School in Spencer was named for him. Eventually Melvin served as president of the bank until his death in 1973, at which time Donald Rogers, Melvin and Helen’s son, began serving as president of the bank.
Randy Smith started working at the bank in 1974 and became president of Spencer State Bank in 1991. Randy is married to Donna Ruth Smith, daughter of Melvin and Helen Rogers. Randy Smith is currently CEO and Chairman of the Board. Donna Smith joined the Board of Directors in 1973. Randy and Donna continue to remain engaged within the daily operations.
The bank was moved to a new building at NE 23rd & Midwest Boulevard in 1997 and renamed Advantage Bank in 2002. The Midwest City location near SE 15th & Post Road was opened in 2003.
We feel so fortunate to have had the trust of our customers for over 105 years and look forward to continuing our relationship with you for many years to come.